RoKC was developed by local climbers who dreamed big and brought world-class climbing to the Kansas City area. Our mission is to provide a fun, inclusive, and adventurous environment where people of all ages, abilities, and backgrounds can learn and be challenged. Come see what we're all about!
Here's what to expect on your first visit:
- When you first walk in you will be greeted by our staff who will help you make sure your account is set up and find the perfect climbing option for you.
- We will help get you set up with all of the gear you need and show you how to set it up and properly use it. Climbing shoes are required for any climbing and harnesses are needed for tall climbing.
- Our staff will take you through a mandatory orientation in which you will learn all the basics of climbing including how to properly fall in bouldering, how to use our Auto belay systems, how our route grading system works, etc. This orientation will help get you started in the right direction.
- Once you have gone through our orientation you will be free to climb and explore the gym. Our staff is always here if you have any questions or need any assistance with anything during your time with us.
- If you are interested in furthering your climbing knowledge, our staff will help point you in the right direction, whether that be signing up for an Intro to Climbing or a Belay course.
For adaptive climbers: Climbing is accessible to all. Adaptive athletes are able to request a belayer to help you, or those with SCI have access to the wheelchair lift system at Olathe and our North locations. Amputees are able to use their prosthesis or climb without it and use a protective sleeve. Blind and low-vision climbers, you are also able to use the help of a belayer to give you verbal instructions on your hand and foot placement as you climb. If you have upper body strength or would like to gain some, climbing is a fun way to get stronger and challenge yourself in a new way!