Lee's Summit Parks and Recreation provides inclusive recreation opportunities to welcome accommodate and successfully include individuals with disabilities within the existing Parks and Recreation Department programs.
The objectives are to:
- Provide opportunities for individuals with disabilities to "try out" and experience a range of recreation opportunities.
- Increase the number of individuals with disabilities and their families accessing the recreation activities currently provided by LSPR.
- Make all LSPR parks, facilities and programs accessible to individuals with disabilities.
- Provide individualized accommodation and support to individuals with disabilities participating in LSPR programs.
The Lees Summit Parks and Recreation Department welcomes people of all abilities to participate in our programs and services. If you or someone you know has a disability and you would like to participate in one of our programs, please let us know how we can best meet your needs. LPSR fully complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) in making reasonable accommodations to facilitate participation.
Lee's Summit Parks and Recreation welcomes adults and children with disabilities, and is dedicated to providing recreation and health resources to the entire community.
To help those with disabilities benefit from all the choices offered by the Parks and Recreation Department, our Inclusion Coordinator will work directly with participants, families, caregivers, friends, teachers and LPSR staff to resolve concerns and ensure that appropriate individualized accommodations are in place. Through open communication and by working cooperatively, challenges to inclusion can be overcome. Examples of accommodations include, but are not limited to:
- Modifying activities
- Providing staff training
- Free access for caregivers
- Monitoring accommodations for effectiveness
For more information, please contact LSPR Inclusion Coordinator: Jodi Jordan • 816-969-1525
LSPR Accessible Playground: Joseph A Dyke
- Legacy Park Shelter 3
- Dedicated in 2007, the Joseph A Dyke all-inclusive playground was made possible by the extraordinary efforts of Rhonda Pycior and the many organizations and individuals she inspired to support this wonderful project that has created a place for children of all abilities to play together.
LSPR Inclusion Partners
Lee's Summit Parks and Recreation has partnered with local organizations to provide opportunities within the community for children and adults with physical and developmental disabilities. A list of our current partners, programs and locations are provided below:
YMCA of Greater KC Challenger Program
- Program offerings: Soccer, Flag Football, Baseball, Basketball and Holiday Party
- LPSR Locations: David Charles Hartman Park and Harris Park Community Center
- For information, contact: Taylor Obersteadt, 816-285-9622, TaylorObersteadt@KansasCityYMCA.org; or Raegan Schurr, 816-300-0531, RaeganSchurr@KansasCityYMCA.org
- Web page: kansascityymca.org
Jackson County Parks + Recreation Special Populations
220 SE Green Street, Lee's Summit, MO 64063
LSPR website: www.Lsparks.net
LSPR Inclusion website: https://cityofls.net/parks/recreation/inclusion
Jodi Jordan; firstname.lastname@example.org
Did You Know?
- Did you know approximately 1/5 of the KC Metro area population have functional and/or access needs? Did you know LSPR staffs an inclusion coordinator to help assist with the special needs of our community?
- Did you know LSPR has a Care Takers Fee Waiver? Caretakers of people with disabilities are not charged to use LSPR's community centers or programs as long as they are actively participating with the care receiver.
- Did you know the Open Arms Foundation is dedicated to developing all-Inclusive facilities? Combined with LSPR resources and a donation from the King family of Landscape Structures, Inc., an all-inclusive destination playground was designed and constructed at Legacy Park. The playground features shelters, parking, restrooms, rubber ground surfaces, ramps, transfer points, physical therapy equipment, activity panels, a wheelchair accessible sandbox and "boat" and swings that will accommodate people of all abilities.
- Did you know Lee's Summit Parks and Recreation partners with local organizations to provide programs for individuals with physical and developmental disabilities? The YMCA Challenger program and the Jackson County Special Populations program use LSPR facilities and parks to serve our youth and young adults in Lees Summit.